There are several reasons why a child might need teeth whitening. One of the most common reasons is that their natural tooth color is not as white as they would like it to be. This can be due to genetics, certain medications, or poor oral hygiene habits. Another reason for pediatric teeth whitening is when a child’s teeth become discolored due to external factors such as consuming certain foods and drinks. This can cause stains on the teeth, making them appear yellow or dull. In some cases, a dentist may also recommend pediatric teeth whitening to remove stubborn stains from the child’s teeth that cannot be removed through regular brushing and flossing.
How Are Teeth Professionally Whitened?
During a professional teeth whitening session, a dentist applies a peroxide-based gel or paste to the teeth. This bleaching agent breaks down the stains into smaller pieces, making them less concentrated and less noticeable. The oxygen molecules in the peroxide also help remove deep-seated stains by reacting with the discolored molecules and breaking them down.
There are two main types of professional teeth whitening—in-office and at-home treatments.
In-office whitening, also known as chairside bleaching, involves a one-time visit to the dentist. The procedure usually takes about an hour and produces immediate results. Dentists use a stronger concentration of the bleaching agent in this method to achieve faster and more noticeable results.
At-home whitening involves the use of custom-made trays that are filled with a bleaching gel and worn for a set amount of time each day. This method usually takes longer to produce results, but it allows for more control over the intensity of the whitening process.
The Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening has become increasingly popular in recent years, with more and more people seeking ways to achieve a brighter, whiter smile. But aside from the obvious aesthetic benefits, there are many other advantages to getting your teeth whitened. These benefits include:
- A brighter smile – Removing stains and discoloration brightens your smile, making you happier and more confident. This can also have a positive impact on your self-esteem and overall well-being.
- Boosted confidence – A brighter smile can make you feel more confident in social and professional situations. You may be more inclined to smile and laugh without feeling self-conscious about the appearance of your teeth, which can greatly improve your overall happiness and quality of life.
- Improved oral health – Teeth whitening also involves removing built-up plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth, which can help prevent future dental issues such as cavities and gum disease.
- Affordable and convenient – Teeth whitening is a relatively affordable and convenient way to improve the appearance of your smile. There is a solution for every budget and lifestyle, with options ranging from at-home kits to professional in-office treatments.
- Long-lasting results – Professional teeth whitening treatments can provide long-lasting results, allowing you to enjoy a brighter smile for months or even years after the treatment. This is especially true when paired with good oral hygiene habits and regular touch-up treatments.
- Safe and effective – Contrary to popular belief, teeth whitening is a safe and effective procedure when done correctly by a dental professional. They will use the appropriate products and techniques to ensure your teeth are not damaged in the process.
There are many benefits to getting your teeth whitened, both in terms of appearance and oral health. It is a safe, convenient, and effective way to improve the overall quality of your smile and boost your confidence.
Smile Brighter with Teeth Whitening at Clifton & Mauney Orthodontics & Pediatric Dentistry
At Clifton & Mauney Orthodontics & Pediatric Dentistry, we believe that a bright and healthy smile can make a world of difference in your child’s life. We offer professional teeth whitening services to help them achieve the perfect smile. Call 888.339.8108 or connect with us online for information about our teeth whitening services and to schedule an appointment.